Day 1

Project 05: Final Poster

After completing all the type projects and learning the basics of putting type on an empty page, I found this project to be the easiest of all. The type added another level to my poster and I personally felt like it made the poster look complete.

screen-shot-2016-11-27-at-6-39-30-pm  screen-shot-2016-11-27-at-8-44-42-am

Firstly, I started off with editing my photographs and selecting which image I wanted to use. I edited out some parts of the image which included the onion peel in the bottom left corner. I also wanted to try the white cutting board I had used for my word as type might work better on it and also my professor had told me I could try doing it. However, I did not like the white poster as before because I know I had put more effort into the wooden one in terms of its composition and aesthetic. Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 8.46.21 PM.png

Keeping in mind all the rules about type, I created the final poster using elements like alignment of the sentence and the paragraph, how I broke the sentence/paragraph and the space in which the paragraph/sentence will be put. I was not sure what the informed decisions should be in this poster, so I only tried what I had learned till now.

I focused more on fitting the sentence into a space and not on anything specific to the word. The first try was just copy parting my final sentence compositions. I didn’t put much thought into it as I did know what was the expectation.  I just tried  different compositions to start with.

Class critique:

In the group meeting with the professors, we got to see other peoples work and received feedback. This helped me a learn a lot of things that I had not considered. Things which I had learned but not applied to this poster. When we worked on the empty page, we had nothing to consider and we could put type wherever we wanted, with informed decisions like the alignment, the type size etc. However, in this one the type added more meaning to the page and so other decisions had to be considered.

The first trials that I did were not thoughtful and I took a very less time to do it. What I learned here was that the actual word on the poster had to have some relation with the type that we put in. Considering the angles, the colors, the way the letters were divided, and the other elements in the composition.

screen-shot-2016-11-28-at-11-22-50-amscreen-shot-2016-11-28-at-11-23-02-am

The thing that I was surprised about after the critique was that I thought i knew what I was doing and that it was at least close to being correct. However, I was wrong. it was not as easy I thought it to be. After the critique, i worked on my poster considering the things I learned and using informed decisions.

screen-shot-2016-11-27-at-9-35-55-pm

This was the logo I chose for the poster as it looked organic and went along with my poster.

 

 

 

Advertisements

Author: nimrahkabiruddin

Graphic Design Sophomore

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s